Write a single-post short story in response to a prompt chosen weekly (posted with the #WedC tag).
How it works
- Write a 1-post entry based around the week’s theme, chosen each Wednesday.
- Post it, remembering to include either the tag #WedC (preferred) or #WednesdayChallenge if your muse isn’t being helpful and you need to fill space!
More answers to questions
- An extended version can be posted elsewhere (e.g. your own blog).
- Though the challenge starts on Wednesday there are no pressures to hit deadlines - writing runs for the full week. You don’t even have to publicize your involvement, if writing is the thing that spreads your toes.
- Given the 256-character post limit most people will use #WedC. The original #WednesdayChallenge tag was abbreviated in response to the inevitable observation that 14 superfluous character of tag is silly.
On App.net, @nitinkhanna called for the first Wednesday Challenge and @duerig, creator of Patter, suggested it be a weekly thing. This conversation took place in the Writers Write room set up by @richardleis., who introduced the #hourofwriting, a similar challenge activity, during which people write at the same time for an hour non-stop.
- October 3: "comte"
- September 26: "Victorian hat"
- September 19: "green"
- September 12: "team building"
- September 5: "underscore"
- August 29: "cabal"
- August 8: "insomnia"
- August 1: "readme"
- July 25: "wildfire"
- June 27: "Double take"
- June 20: "swelter"
- June 6: "🍁"
- May 30: "Ring of Honor"
- May 23: "paraph"
- May 16: "euphoria?"
- May 9: "loss"
- April 30: "airport"
- April 25: "paint"
- April 11: "bananas"
- April 4: "lamb"
- March 28: "yegg"
- March 14: "moon"
- February 21: "rān|reyn|reɪn"
- From pnut.io post:
- “Guten Abend, nach altem Brauch (#WednesdayChallenge) rufe ich auf, eine kurze Geschichte zu schreiben. Sie passe in 256 Zeichen, trage das Zeichen #WedC oder #MitC und treffe das Thema dieser Woche “Links” (Deutsch oder Englisch) #MittwochsChallenge”
- ^ #WednesdayChallenge - @nitinkhanna: Write a short story in 256 characters involving the words "Pope","battle" and "moon".The wilder the better. :) - app.net, March 13 2013.
- ^ #@duerig: That was fun. We should do this every wednesday. - Writer's Write Patter archive, March 13 2013
- ^ #@pamdavis: We also used to do #hourofwriting, which anyone could call for. That was started by the room owner @richardleis. - app.net, October 2013 recollection.
- ^ #@richardleis: I got the idea for #hourofwriting from Jane Espenson (TV writer and producer). She often calls for one on Twitter. Hope your writing is going well! - app.net, April 2013.
- ^ #@thelma: @duerig That actually sounds great! If @bazbt3 and @annatarkov concur, we can let everyone know? @nitinkhanna said he wanted to sit this week out. - app.net, October 2013